FOUNDATIONS REVEALED COMPETITION ENTRY
Wild Card Prize - love the unexpected mashup of the character with pinup style
“Who…are…you?” The Blue Caterpillar
Outline the story …
I’ve always loved Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll and seeing the many different interpretations of characters through various art mediums. Instead of choosing one of the more popular characters, I chose to select a character less popular, but definitely known and recognizable. But I wanted to interpret my Blue Caterpillar as sort of a slightly rude, sultry, hookah-lounge hostess. I drew my inspiration (personal sketch included in photo submissions) from my love of pinup style, mixed with a 1960s nightclub lounge vibe. The corset features an analogous color scheme of rounded edges, ribbing, and a bouffant/rockabilly updo wig styled (by me) to convey the curves of a caterpillar. It was fun to channel the Blue Caterpillar because we’re very much opposites. I come from the Midwest, where we’re nice to strangers and want to help folks. Whereas, the Blue Caterpillar is easily offended, short, and limited in her helpfulness.
Outline the construction…
I drafted my own pattern by utilizing the ‘duct tape method’; wrapping myself in saran wrap and applying duct tape over the top. I used a permanent marker to draw the lines for the corseted bodysuit over the duct tape, and then cut the appropriate lines. I transferred the pieces to paper to make more clean patterns, adding seam allowance in my measurements. I love to mix different fabric types, so I made the base bodysuit/corset out of a stretch blue velvet, and decided to make the front panel (stomacher) out of different teal/blue satin. I lined the inside of the bodysuit with 2 layers of satin, through which I including boning channels. After assembling the main corset base, I added a front busk and back grommets. I created many stuffed “channels,” by serging 2-inch rows of fabric, and stuffing them with Poly-fil fiber. Due to the angle and difficulty of trying to sew the channels on by hand, I decided to resort to hot glue to affix the channels. Although I was vehemently against this at first, it actually worked very well, and added nice structure to the bust and overall garment. The rear bunched up a little, so I handstitched some thick interfacing so it would lay more flatly across my backside. Lastly, I added Velcro to the front “V” panel so that I could affix a stomacher to hide the metal busk attachments. I made the hookah out of foam and mushroom chair cover myself, too.