FOUNDATIONS REVEALED COMPETITION ENTRY
Rose’s Travel Clothes
Outline the story …
“East” by Edith Pattou is a retelling of the Norweigian folktale “East of the Sun, West of the Moon.” The father, a former mapmaker, designed a windrose for each of his children when they were born. The cloak is based off of the one that Rose, the main character, weaves using her windrose design. It is described to have a polar bear shaped cloud at the North, where I have placed the hood. I wanted the swirls inside the polar bears to invoke the idea of clouds. To the East, it is described to have a rising Sun. The South is a mountain because Rose stays in a castle that is carved into a mountain South of where she grew up. There is a moon to the West as a nod to the folktale.
Polar bears play a large role in the book, so I included white fur trim. In the center, I placed a Runic Compass. The imagery, depicted in red thread, is believed to be a viking symbol used to protect the wearer from getting lost. Rose’s mother is a very superstitious woman, so it made sense to me that the father would include something in his design that would protect his youngest daughter. Rose’s travel clothes were inspired by the traditional Norweigian folk dress called bunad. While the book takes place in the mid 16th century, and the bunad did not come into play until the 1800s, I thought Rose’s clothes could be a precursor to the more embellished bunad.
Outline the construction…
The Windrose Cloak is hand embroidered on a wool blend fabric. I lined the cloak with a white fleece material. I used two panels sewn together to make sure it was wide enough to reach all corners of the cloak, and I had a separate piece for the hood section. I attached the lining to the edges of the embroidered wool and then tacked the two together in various places. I attached the faux fur trim of the cloak to the edges with a combination of machine and hand sewing.
Rose’s Travel Clothes are three separate pieces. The underdress is constructed like a shift would have been, using rectangles and squares with side gores. I used a mandarine collar pattern from pinterest, and a hook and bar closure to hold the collar shut. I chose a decorative button in place of a broach. I used elastic to gather the sleeve cuffs, and finished the buttonholes on the cuffs by hand.
I used a bodice pattern from MaxPattern on Etsy, and altered it so that it could have the neckline and closures that I wanted. I whip stitched the seam allowance to the lining fabric to finish the seams and finished the neckline and arm holes with machine topstitching.
I used the skirt from Simplicity’s vintage 9008 pattern. I altered the pattern so that I could use less skirt panels and finished the seams with french seams. The waistband was a bias cut strip, with a hook and bar closure.