FOUNDATIONS REVEALED COMPETITION ENTRY
Memory of The Little Prince
Outline the story …
The Little Prince by Antoine De-Saint Exupery is the well loved tale of a boy from an asteroid, from the perspective of a stranded pilot in the Sahara Desert. Our hero's many encounters are recalled by the pilot, from their meeting, the stories he told, until their eventual parting of ways.
It is in the pilots memory where I wanted to base my design. Taking artistic license to fuse elements of the Sahara and his own child like illustrations used to support his remembrance of The Little Prince.
My version of The Little Prince is nomadic. He could almost have passed for a local boy if we did not know he came from Asteroid B-612. Swathed in his oversized yellow scarf, rolled up his oversized sleeves and turned up trousers. Belted as best as he could with a red rope from a story the pilot could not quite recall. A red tassel close to his heart, the constant reminder of her. His rose.
His silhouette is simple, like the pilots drawing. And the palest green. Washed from the brush strokes of the pilots watercolours as he attempts to illustrate his memory… of The Little Prince.
Outline the construction…
This marks the first garments and complete outfit I have ever made which I did the following in order to achieve:
Developed a pattern for the top with wide neckline.
Developed a pattern for the trousers, including pockets and button flies.
French seamed entire construction of the top and trousers.
Set in sleeves.
Hand sewn buttons.
Hand sewn button holes.
Sponge painted with green dye.
I chose to use muslin and calico for the fabric - The sewists paper. As I wanted to stay close the experience of drawing The Little Prince as per the Pilot in the story. I enjoyed experimenting with dyes, it gave the experience I was aiming for as if I was the pilot. However once dried it came to me… this idea didn't translate to the costume itself, only my experience of it. In hindsight I could have chose differently.
The pattern for the trousers was incredibly challenging to get the fit right with 6 failed toiles made generously out of my grans spare curtains going to waste.
Similarly I was intimidated by setting in a sleeve. I developed a pattern with the shoulder-line extended and the scye squared off. With my naive belief that all I had to do was throw on a rectangle and a gusset. But this never worked and I was destined to tackle the set in sleeve anyway. Which I managed in the end. Several curtains later.
If at first you don’t succeed… Toile, toile again.