Heaven and Earth




(click images to to enlarge)

Outline the story …

To be quite honest, my design process was a mess, and very much a process throughout the whole construction I started out with two competing inspirations: one of the night sky, and various literary and mythological depictions of night and darkness; on the other hand were colourful fungi and mosses, and the way they were depicted through embroidery I was going back and forth on which idea I should follow, but the breakthrough came when I saw various 1910s dresses, with their layered skirts and softly draped fabrics It inspired me to combine my ideas into one outfit, embroidering texture into the folds of the fabric, like moss hiding in the cracks and shaded sides of trees, while the underlaying gown contrasts to it with dark velvet As both the overskirt and the bodice were draped on the body, the creation process felt very organic and I only knew what they would look like, as I actually worked on them I found it to be very freeing to go into the project with just outlines and vague shapes, as I was less concerned with how it should look like and more with how it looked in the moment As the embroidery came together, I found that the texture faded in favour of the riot of colours I had choosen and now the overskirt represents sunlight falling onto wildflowers for me, creating a thematical contrast of heaven and earth in the gown, which also finally allowed me to find a name.

Outline the construction…

When I started this project in November it marked my first year of sewing, and so I thought it was time to challenge myself. Me being me, I couldn't start with just one challenge, but cramed as much difficulty into one project, as I could stand, for the first time working without a pattern, tackling a new style and also learning new techniques with both embroidery and beading. The overskirt was actually the piece I draped first, as I knew the embroidery would take time. It is simply a rectangle, with the pleads done on the crossgrain and the front rounded of after draping. The bodice pattern I took from a modern top I own, that already had princess seams, and adjusted it slightly to fit better to my body. The skirt was drafted with the help of a video by TheClosetHistorian on youtube and was actually the piece that caused me the most trouble. It just would not fit right. It was both too large in the waist and too small in the hips. That was also not helped by the fabric, as the velvet was – as expected – very shifty and the poly satin just refused to be ironed into submission. In the end, I added another layer inside with heavy canvas from waist to hip, that finally stabilized the outer fabric and gave me my desired shape.
The bodice and the overskirt were finished mostly by hand, while the skirt is mostly finished by machine.




  1. Avatar Anna-Catherine Sendgikoski on May 7, 2023 at 6:34 pm

    So nicely done! I love the embroidery!

  2. Avatar Steffi Wee on May 10, 2023 at 12:10 pm

    The construction is impeccable! And the embroidery provides such a nice touch

  3. Avatar Jenny jenny b on May 22, 2023 at 12:37 pm

    This is so stunning! The silhouette you’ve achieved with the bodice and skirt draping is incredible!

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.