FOUNDATIONS REVEALED COMPETITION ENTRY
Outline the story …
The Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb are my favourite books since childhood. The hero of the story is Fitz Chivalry, he is constantly misunderstood, trying to fit in but never really to understanding the world. It was easy to identify with, as a kid growing up. Fitz is a boy turning in to a man. He is one of my favourite characters, the other one is Patience the wife of his father (not his mother). Because I am a woman it would be logical to choose Patience for a garment. My curiosity won of how Fitz would be as a woman.
Now Fitz means: son of… but lets make a turn and go against the patriarchy since there is no equivalent of Fitz for the female half of the population. It is also practical, since I want to wear the garments in real life. I got instant inspiration about the ‘look’ for Fitz, so Fitz it is! To place the books I would say Tudor period. My very little to none experience in sewing decided not to go overboard, and I made it not historically accurate but used the Tudor period as inspiration.
Note: the trousers and boots are not included, only there for the picture.
Outline the construction…
Cape: American Duchess wrap cape pattern. First time pattern. First mock-up did not fit since I am quite tall. I had to alter the pattern, and I also altered the length of the cape and added a hood instead of the collar. This way the cape is more to my liking, and suits the character. It took two mock-ups to get it right. Fabric is an English wool tweed and a linen wool blend. The cape is reversible. I did cut out one front on the wrong side of the fabric. I did not have enough to cut it out again, and one front wrap is a little narrower.
Bodice: pattern Simplicity 5582. Not my first choice but the only one I could get in time. Fabric is left over furniture fabric. Due to delivery errors I pulled strips from a linen blouse and used it as tape. This fabric was a bit too thin and difficult to handle for a neat finish.
Blouse: Pattern, Bernadette Banner, 18th century blouse. Sewed it completely by hand using linen bedding and two-ply linen thread with bees wax to coat it. I removed fabric from the body part. This brought me trouble later when I stitched the collar on. It turned out I removed the fabric that was needed for my shoulders and neck. I looked up 18th shirts and saw that some shirts had a triangle next to the collar, so I applied that to my shirt as well to restore the fit.