FOUNDATIONS REVEALED COMPETITION ENTRY
Outline the story …
I’ve loved the "Flower Fairies" since I was a little girl dressing up as the Cherry Tree Fairy, so once I started sewing I knew I wanted to make a flower fairy dress at some point, and the competition was the impetus I needed. I chose the Cornflower Fairy partially because I had an old dress in blues, and mostly because it is my wife’s favourite flower. The Cornflower Fairy in the books is a ‘boy blue,’ but I decided to turn this into a ‘girl blue’ instead. I’m also much older than the children in the paintings in the books, so I decided to embrace this and create an outfit for an adult flower fairy, one which would show off my pregnancy bump once it becomes properly visible..
I chose a handkerchief skirt primarily because I naively hoped I might be able to wear it at a festival once the plague is over, but also because I think the light fabric and uneven edges lend themselves nicely to a wildflower fairy. The crop top shouldn’t be considered as part of the competition as it’s an existing top to which I added cannibalised sleeves and some binding, but I wanted to include it in my photos as I think it completes the outfits.
My previous sewing experience is turning pillowcases into scrub bags and making rectangular masks, so this is by far the most complicated thing I have made to date, but the competition helped motivate me!
Outline the construction…
I took apart an old dress for the fabric as I love the colours. I found a guide online on how to make a handkerchief skirt and used this to draw up the pattern, although I forgot to leave seam allowance on the waistband which I regretted later. While planning I found out I was pregnant, so I used my hip measurement for the waistband so I could wear the outfit when I’m showing. I originally only put together the outer layer, but then realised that this was see-through, so created a second layer and stitched the two together. I took pockets from another old dress and added them, although the right pocket is a bit too narrow for my hand! I realised it needed to open and close and so cut an opening in the back. I did this based on the centre of the skirt, forgetting that I have a twisted pelvis (!) so the opening is not centred when I wear it. I made a waistband from bias binding, and closures from poppers and hooks and eyes because I didn’t want to work out how to put a zip in, and I thought this would give me more flexibility down the line. If I was to make it again the main thing I would change is planning it through in advance, and taking a lot more care with my stitching and lines. However, I’m really proud- I want to try making an actual pattern now!