FOUNDATIONS REVEALED COMPETITION ENTRY
Alice in Upcycland
Content Warning: Video has flickering lights
Outline the story …
As I tried to decide on the perfect story, I ended up falling into so many rabbit holes - that I decided to make THAT the topic of my story, and choose the White Rabbit from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. So, I went hard for that feeling of “chasing the rabbit” who is always running out of time and inviting chaos wherever it goes.
With time running out, and money in short supply, I opened my closet full of old clothes, I used my abilities, and I made a mood board. I wanted to represent that feeling of falling in the rabbit hole plus upcycling fashion that worked well with that mood. And that’s the result of Alice who doesn’t know where she’s going but learns on the (messy) journey.
Outline the construction…
The complete look contains:
- A blouse made of curtains with an Edwardian style.
- A Symington pattern corset made of jeans, and shirts and skirts retails (with a base of cotton coutil, plastic boning, and spoon busk).
- A Full circle skirt made of cotton men’s shirt pieces. The waistband and pocket are made of jeans.
- A rabbit ears mask, made with a basic carnival mask, lace from an old skirt, and wire. The roses are made of old cabbage.
- The collar is simply a shoe without the sole.