FOUNDATIONS REVEALED COMPETITION ENTRY
A djinni’s cape
Outline the story …
Entry inspired by Bartimaeus, from the Bartimaeus Sequence series. I discovered Costube last year to keep me company while abroad. It led me to the American Duchess Cape pattern. I downloaded it, knowing I would have to make changes to it, especially in length, but it seemed easy for the first garment I would make.
One of my favorite book series is the Bartimaeus Sequence especially because of the humor of Bartimaeus, the story's hero and a djinni. So I knew he would be my inspiration for this challenge.
I chose to make the cape reversible so that I could show two sides of the djinni:
one dark because he usually has to accomplish his missions unseen and unheard as ordered by his master, and for his dark humor,
the other with peacock feathers because he particularly likes the air element, turning into a flying animal whenever possible on his missions and also because he likes theatrics and is a complete show-off.
So now he/I can wear my cape, stealthily on the dark side while on a mission or proudly on the feathery side whenever we chose to.
Outline the construction…
I chose worsted wool for one side as recommended and wax fabric for the other because of the pattern on the fabric.
Then I printed, taped and cut the pattern. I modified the front wrap to make it angle a little bit more upward and added length to the back to fit the length of the sleeves.
I cut the wax fabric, hoping it would all fit together, pinned it and sewed it on our century-old treadle machine. Thanks to my mother guiding me and keeping a watchful eye sometimes, I avoided disasters but I still had to unsew once, twice or thrice the same part because I did not like what I did.
I did the same thing with the wool and discovered it was way trickier and slippery but I managed to do the second cape although more slowly.
I let both hang overnight.
My mother taught me how to iron the wool protected by a wet fabric so i could iron them both before sewing them together. I trimmed all the edges with serrated scissors to prevent fraying.
I then turned the cape inside-out, sewed it shut, ironed it and that was it. I did it!
Everything was new for me but thanks to Costube and my mother, I learned new tips and tricks.