FOUNDATIONS REVEALED COMPETITION ENTRY
Outline the story …
My costume is meant for the character Death from graphic novel series “The Sandman” by Neil Gaiman. She is, as you might guess, the personification of death and is depicted as a young goth woman who wears casual modern clothes. However whenever the graphic novel shows other time periods, like Elizabethan, the characters wear clothing fitting to that era. I imagined what Death might wear if she were to visit the 1950s for this competition entry.
I didn’t really draw a design but looking at pictures on the internet for inspiration I decided to make a black swing dress with a black lace overlay as this felt fitting. Of course this required proper undergarments so I also made knickers, a waist clincher and a petticoat. I attempted to make a strapless bullet bra but sadly this was beyond my sewing abilities.
Outline the construction…
Knickers: I used pattern “Linen Knickers, 1940s” from “Vintage Lingerie” by Jill Salen, only adjusted for fit. The fabric is a light black cotton and I used some elastic from my stash. It’s machine sewn with the seams hand finished to make elastic channels.
Waist clincher: The pattern is “Strapless Brassiere and Waist Clincher, 1950s” again from “Vintage Lingerie” by Jill Salen, only adjusted a little bit for fit. The construction I made up and is probably not accurate for any era. It’s single layer coutil brocade(viscose/cotton mix), power mesh, pre made boning channels, plastic boning, bra hook band, grommets and satin bias band.
I machine sewed the different pieces together but hand sewed the seam finishes and boning channels. It had to be patched due to damage.
Petticoat: I used pattern “#7309 1950’s skirt & petticoat” from Mrs Depew Vintage. For fabric I used polyester taft and polyester tulle. Construction wise I used French seams except for the waist and zipper seam. The tule ruffle was machine zigzagged on.
Dress: The top part is from “Simplicity New Look 6392” (version B) much adjusted for fit, the skirt is a self-drafted full circle skirt. Construction wise, I tried to French seam as much as possible. I put in the sleeves by hand but otherwise it is all machine stitched. The skirt ended up being slightly small so I patched in an extra gore at the back. Materials: lace (cotton/polyamide mix), satin (polyester), satin bias band.