FOUNDATIONS REVEALED COMPETITION ENTRY
My Own Stargirl
Outline the story …
I struggled with the choice of story. I thought of "Stargirl" (by Jerry Spinelli) early on, but thought it was a bit of a cop out, since basically, my whole wardrobe could also be hers. We both wear costumes on a daily basis. I could make anything and say it was Stargirl. I finally decided to start with the actual text. It was also important to me that this was something that I could, and would, wear. That said, I will wear most anything, but big flowy sleeves, as fun as they are, are hard to wear when doing house repairs or taking care of kids.
There are a few specific outfits described, like when Stargirl is walking in the desert she wears a skirt that looks like a lollipop when she spins, so of course I had to make one. My mom showed me a spiral skirt from the 70's, and I loved the swish and flare, rather than the flat circle skirt I had been envisioning. Stargirl's 'normal' is floor length prairie dresses. I thought about what most people think of as 'prairie dresses', which tends to be less 'Little House' and more Gunne Sax. That was the inspiration behind the blouse. During fitting I really liked the sides being open a bit, and decided to add the lace inserts, inspired by Georgian frock coats, which also led to the buttons above. In that vein, I also chose to spiral lace the front.
Outline the construction…
One of my struggles with sewing has been choosing the right fabric. I tend to choose the right look, but not the right hand. That became a major focus of this project. I knew that the skirt would not flow correctly if I chose fabric that was too heavy, and that the contrast I wanted in the bodice wouldn't work if the lace was too stiff. To make this more challenging, I worked entirely from my stash. The only thing I bought was the grommets.
My supply of lightweight prints is rather sparse, several of the pieces that I did have, there was enough, but the shape was wrong, so I had to piece it and pattern match, something I have avoided in the past. In the end, it was worth using the J shaped pieces I saw on the 1970s pattern for the fun bias flare.
For the bodice I used old jeans. Many had belonged to someone who repaired cars for a living, so I had to cut around oil stains, patches, and worn spots. It also has a few small holes I had to work around. The main pattern was made from my basic princess seam pattern, and the sleeves were adjusted from the first dress I made from my slopers. I wanted the lace insets to be as accurate to frock coats as possible, but in the end, I decided to make them rectangular instead of round because of the lines on the lace.